Xpdf Thai Support
- What Xpdf is
- Thai Support for Xpdf
What Xpdf is
Xpdf : A PDF Viewer for X,
with some additional conversion utilities.
Thai Support for Xpdf
I've added the extraction of PDF ToUnicode map so that Thai
glyph codes in PDF documents which embed and subset TrueType or Type0
fonts can be mapped into character codes. The glyph variations that
are used for elegant typesetting are also substituted back to the
original character codes. And, finally, the -thai option for
pdftotext which indicates TIS-620 output character set is also added.
To get the Thai support for Xpdf's pdftotext, please
follow these steps:
- Download original
xpdf-0.92 source from the
You may also need t1lib and freetype to get supports
for Type 1 and TrueType fonts.
- Get the Thai patch for Xpdf
- Explode the source and apply the patch:
- gzip -cd xpdf-0.92.tgz | tar xf -
- patch -p0 < xpdf-0.92-thai.patch
- Regenerate the configure script:
If it complains something, you need to rerun aclocal:
- cp aclocal.m4 acinclude.m4
- As a practice recommended by GNU gurus, create a separate build
directory. Then, configure it with --enable-thai option:
- mkdir bld
- cd bld
- ../configure --enable-thai
- Compile the programs:
- As root, install the programs:
- To extract a PDF document with Thai texts, use pdftotext with
- Patches for Xpdf
- Xpdf 0.92 patch
to add ToUnicode map extraction and Thai output
PDF Reference Version 1.3, 2nd Ed.
ToUnicode Mapping File Tutorial
Distiller Font Management
- Derek B. Noonburg,
Copyright © 2001 by Theppitak Karoonboonyanan.
All right reserved.